The original Museum building, shown here for it's very first Open
House, was built by volunteer firemen in 1923. It was the city's
first firehouse and later served as City Hall. In 1941, a new fire station
was built next door and the 1923 structure vacated. It stood empty
for several years and fell into decay.
In 1970, the San Carlos Lions Club developed plans to demolish the old
structure and build a museum replicating the original firehouse. Members of
the San Carlos Lions Club generously donated their time,
labor and money to complete the Museum. The
new building was dedicated July 4, 1976, during the Bi-Centennial
In 1981, when both the exterior and interior work was
finished, it was gifted to the City. The City Council then appointed the San Carlos Villagers
as docents for the Museum.